Changing schools, key stages or classes
Transition Planning and Covid – Moving to the next stage of education
Things have changed really quickly for schools and families due to the Coronavirus. Once new school places are confirmed, families start thinking about the transition, from practical ones about drop-off and pick-up, uniform and homework, to concerns about their child making friends or settling with their new teacher.
In North East Lincolnshire parents, carers and their children would usually be invited into educational settings for information sessions and for children to meet their teacher. However we now need to start thinking about alternative ways of helping children and their families with their transition preparations. This will be both in terms of how we can help them get a feel for the school, the staff and the way things run in new settings, and what parents can do with children while they’re at home to get them ready for transition.
We are already getting our heads around the options of video conferences, recordings shared on social media, or something online that parents can log into and ask questions. Seeing the school building and layout can be really useful as can virtual tours on school websites. We may see schools recording their own walk-rounds or posting lots of pictures. Home visits may now be phone calls or video chats, and the extra work we’d do with families of children with SEND will still happen, but in these new ways.
New ways our schools and settings have included information for families of learners who are transitioning include:
- Virtual tours of schools or colleges
- A day in the life – Current learners describing their school day
- Question and answer with children and young people with video, photos, clipart or drawings
- Information on routines such as lunch time, PE, homework, assemblies etc
- Getting to know you through photos of rooms, teachers and staff who can provide support.
Transition to secondary education
- John Whitgift – Transition
- Healing school
- Tollbar Year 6 welcome and Tollbar Academy Year 7 frequently asked questions for new students.
- Havelock Academy – Transition
- Humberston Academy – Transition
- Cleethorpes Academy – Welcome video
- Beacon Academy – Transition
- Oasis Academy – Transition
- Oasis Academy – Pastoral Care
- The Academy Grimsby – Open events
- Oasis Academy Wintringham – Transition