skip to content

Specialist advisory service: Parents and carers

Specialist Advisory Service

The Specialist Advisory Service is made up of a small team of advisory teachers who specialise in learning and cognition, communication and interaction and in social and emotional and mental health needs

If the school staff have concerns about your child’s learning, communication needs or emotional needs, the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO) may ask an advisory teacher to become involved. If this happens, an advisory teacher will work with you, your child and your child’s teachers, to find ways of improving your child’s engagement and success in learning.

Here are some of the ways that a specialist advisory teacher can help you or your child:

  • meeting with you and your child’s teacher to learn about your concerns and views
  • explaining what the advisory teacher’s support will look like
  • undertaking a discussion with your child, then observations, and assessments on your child to learn about their strengths and difficulties
  • feeding back to you and your child’s teacher on findings, so that a joint plan of action can be put in place
  • reviewing progress with you, your child’s class teacher and your child at regular intervals, until no longer required

if you think your child would benefit from the support of a specialist advisory teacher, you should discuss the matter with your child’s teacher or school SENCO in the first instance.

Contact details

Specialist Advisory Service, Civic Offices, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LN

Call: 01472 323183

Due to an increase in demand, the Educational Psychology Team, Advisory Teachers, and Portage phone lines will only be open from 1pm-2:30pm.