skip to content

Getting information, advice and support

Getting information, advice and support

Help for your child if you have concerns

If you have any concerns about your child’s development or health, whatever their age, you can talk to a professional from education, health or care. Quite often, who you choose to talk to will depend on the age of your child. For example:

  • Health Visitor/GP
  • Nursery worker
  • Class teacher or form tutor
  • Early years, school or collego SEN coordinator
  • School nurse or mental health champion

You can also go to your local Family Hub where Early Help support workers will be available to give you information, advice and guidance.

Help from Early Years

If your child is pre-school, and it is felt that your child may have additional needs then your health visitor, nursery or paediatrician may refer you to the Child Development Centre.

Help if your child is of school age

If your child is school age and you have concerns about their development and progress at home and at school, including having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), please talk to your Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo)/Mental Health Champion in school.

They will be able to use assessment toolkits and put some supportive strategies in place straight away. These toolkits have been designed by our specialist services. They include one for autism and one for social, emotional and mental health. You can use the strategies suggested at home too.

Through the Graduated Approach of assess, plan do review, the educational settiing will gather information together and they will be able to refer your child to NE Lincs Specialist Advisory Support Service , Educational Psychology Service and/or the new Additional Needs Pathway if appropriate.

The Family Hubs can also offer information, advice and guidance and have a close link with Health Visitors and School Nursing services. They offer guidance on sleep, positive behaviour strategies and living with teenagers.

Help if your child is 16 or over

You can also get independent information, advice and guidance from:

  • The Carers Centre