skip to content

Cognition and learning

Cognition and learning support

If you think that your child needs extra support with learning, you should speak to your school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).

Supporting parents or carers

If the SENCO becomes involved in your child’s learning support, they are likely to place your child on the school’s SEN register. This means that your child will receive additional classroom support for their learning which may include additional interventions or resources, being provided. You will be involved in the process and given opportunities to contribute to your child’s learning plan and subsequent reviews.

Specialist advisory service

The Specialist Advisory Service is made up of a small team of advisory teachers who specialise in learning and cognition, communication and interaction and in social and emotional and mental health needs.

If the school staff have concerns about your child’s learning, the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO) may ask an advisory teacher to become involved. If this happens, an advisory teacher will work with you, your child and your child’s teachers, to find ways of improving your child’s engagement and success in learning.

Here are some of the ways that a specialist advisory teacher can help you or your child:

  • meeting with you and your child’s teacher to learn about your concerns and views
  • explaining what the advisory teacher’s support will look like
  • undertaking a discussion with your child, then observations, and assessments on your child to learn about their strengths and difficulties
  • feeding back to you and your child’s teacher on findings, so that a joint plan of action can be put in place
  • reviewing progress with you, your child’s class teacher and your child at regular intervals, until no longer required

If you think your child would benefit from the support of a specialist advisory teacher, you should discuss the matter with your child’s teacher or school SENCO in the first instance.

Contact details

Specialist Advisory Service, Civic Offices, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LN

Telephone: 01472 323172 and 01472 323314

Contact: Lead Specialist Advisory Teacher – Sharon Gest