1:11 pm, Tuesday, 9th May 2023
Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSA) Information Session
This session is intended for staff members of schools in North East Lincolnshire who are interested in finding out more about the ELSA initiative.
Link to the online event will be sent out the morning of the event, so if you book please ensure that you save the date and time, Monday 22 May at 12pm.
WHAT IS THE ELSA PROJECT?
- The ELSA project is an initiative designed to help schools meet the needs of emotionally vulnerable pupils from within their own resources.
- Children learn better and are happier in school if their emotional needs are met. When children’s emotional and cognitive energy is focused on their personal and interpersonal difficulties, their capacity to concentrate on learning new information and skills is reduced.
- ELSAs plan and deliver programmes of support to children identified within school as likely to benefit from additional help to increase their emotional literacy. Children may, for example, receive support to recognise and manage their emotions, raise their self-esteem, improve peer relationships, recover from significant loss or bereavement, and resolve conflict effectively.
WHAT IS ELSA TRAINING?
- The ELSA training has been developed by educational psychologists, comprises of a 6-day course (approx. one day per fortnight), and is followed by regular supervision with an educational psychologist to develop the ELSA’s understanding, skills and practice.
WHO CAN BE AN ELSA?
A staff member who:
- Has a warm personality and can stay calm under pressure.
- Can build positive relationships with children and adults.
- Can gain the confidence of children who present with challenging behaviours or who are socially withdrawn.
- Enjoys learning and developing.
- Can work independently and show initiative.
- Has good time management and organisational skills.
- Can plan programmes of support that incorporate variety, interest, and pace.
- Can keep succinct records of involvement.
COULD THE ELSA PROJECT WORK IN YOUR SETTING?
If the above describes staff members in your school, e.g., TAs, LSAs who you think would develop into amazing ELSAs, we welcome Headteachers / Principals / School Leaders and potential ELSAs to join us for our information session via MS Teams.
Link to the online event will be sent out the morning of the event, so if you book please ensure that you save the date and time.