skip to content

Young people released from custody

Young people and youth justice

Support for children and young people who have been released from custody

Young people with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

Before their release from custody the youth offending service will liaise with the young person’s EHCP Co-ordinator to find a suitable educational placement for when they are released. This will make sure that important learning needs can be met.

When the young person has been released, the youth offending service will support the them in any planned interviews. They will also help to look around the educational placement.

Sometimes while waiting for a placement youth offending service support the young person with one to one sessions in English and Maths functional skills.

Young people with additional special needs that do not have an EHCP

If educational assessments and the young person feels they have significant difficulties accessing education then youth offending service may initiate a request for an assessment of the young person’s SEND.

If the young person is dyslexic or has difficulties with scotopic sensitivity the youth offending service will make reasonable adjustments. We will put details of appointments with a larger font and/or on coloured paper.

If a young person finds verbal instructions difficult to follow, the youth offending service with use visual sequencing cards to support a young person’s understanding.

When educational information is requested by youth offending service staff they are also informed of any learning needs. This is not just to record on the Child View data system, but to also to take into consideration while carrying out interventions so the young person fully understands what is being asked of them and why. Sessions are carried out in ways that that support any identified SEND.

One to one support is given to help young people complete online forms, for example job and benefit applications, as they may struggle with understanding what is being asked of them.

For more information please contact