skip to content

Specialist advisory service: Young people

Specialist advisory service

The Specialist Advisory Service is made up of a team of teachers who work in learning, communication and in social and emotional and mental health.

If your school has concerns about you or your learning, the SENCO may ask an advisory teacher to become involved with you. If this happens, an advisory teacher will work with you, your parents or carers and your teachers, to find ways of helping you to do well at school.

Here are some of the ways that an advisory teacher can help you:

  • talk to you about your opinions and feelings and your hopes for the future 
  • try to understand your point of view
  • observe you in the classroom and work out how your class or subject teacher could help you more
  • work through some tasks with you which will show your strengths and difficulties as a learner
  • provide a report for you, your parents and carers and teachers, with lots of ideas on how everyone can help you
  • check up on you, to ensure that you are making progress.

If you think that a specialist advisory teacher could help you, it would be a good idea to talk about it to your parent or carer, your class teacher or your school’s SENCO.

Contact details

Specialist Advisory Service, Civic Offices, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LN

Call: 01472 323183

Due to an increase in demand, the Educational Psychology Team, Advisory Teachers, and Portage phone lines will only be open from 1pm-2:30pm.