Special Educational Needs and Disabilities information, advice and support service (SENDIASS)
North East Lincolnshire Special Educational Needs and Disabilities information, advice and support service (NEL SENDIASS) is a parent partnership service between us and Barnardo’s. The NEL SENDIASS staff work for Barnardo’s and run the service.
School admission appeals
SENDIASS has been receiving enquiries about school admission appeals.
If your child didn’t get a place at the school you wanted there is a standard appeals process in place.
If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), you cannot appeal through this process and procedures and deadlines are different. Parents/carers should contact the SEN Assessment and Review Team on (01472) 323166 or for more advice please contact SENDIASS.
If you decide to appeal there are some basic steps to follow:
- Accept the place you have been given and go on the waiting lists for the other school you would like.
- Download the appeals form from the Local Authority School admission appeal page.
- State your reasons for appeal clearly and concisely.
- SENDIASS can support you with template letters to help you compose your appeal.
- See the Ace Education website for ideas on what to include.
- ‘Submit the appeals form, by the due deadlines, to the admissions authority- details are on the appeals form’.
- If you don’t receive confirmation that your appeal has been received follow up with the school or Local Authority.
This information on school admission appeals can also be found on the SEND Local Offer ‘Appeal or make a complaint‘ page.
What we do
NEL SENDIASS provides impartial information, advice and support on matters around special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). Support is provided on a range of topics, including:
- provision in schools
- assessment processes
- conversion of statements to education, health and care plans (EHCP)
- specialist provision/support services
- local policies
- SEND code of practice
Support may be provided on a one to one or group basis according to need.
Who our service is for
NEL SENDIASS is a free, impartial, and confidential service for parents and carers of children and young people (0 to 25) with additional needs. Children and young people with additional needs aged 0 to 25 years can also access the service for support in their own right.
How to access the service
Access the service by contacting them directly using the following details:
- Telephone: 01472 355365
- Address: Barnardo’s 11 Dudley Street, Grimsby, DN31 2AW
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: Barnados.org.uk
- Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Resources and useful links
- Children and Young People, Information, Advice and Support Services Network
- SEND guide for children and young people
- Coram Children’s Legal Centre
- Department of Education
- National Information Advice and Support Services Network
- North East Lincolnshire Parent Participation Forum (NELPPF)