Specialist advisory service: Supporting schools
Specialist Advisory Service
The Specialist Advisory Service comprises a small team of advisory teachers (the Key Stage Team) specialising in learning and cognition, communication and interaction and social and emotional and mental health needs.
The Specialist teachers for learning and cognition meet with the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO) on a termly basis, to plan work for the term. At these meetings, children of concern are discussed and where appropriate a referral made for specific support by a member of the team. Dates will then be set up for parent/carer meetings, observations, assessments, feedback meetings and a review.
The team also provides on-the-job training (capacity building) and formal training on areas of Special Educational Need and Disability, as requested by the school or as recommended by the advisory teacher.
Here are some of the ways that a specialist advisory teacher can support you and your school:
- whole school advice and guidance to improve provision for children with severe and complex needs
- direct, in-depth support for identified children and young people, including parent and teacher meetings, pupil observations and assessments, feedback, progress monitoring and review meetings
- a well-experienced and resourceful team with an extensive knowledge base
- advice and guidance to SENCO’s on SEND (including the Code of Practice, SEN support, the statutory process in NE Lincs and the graduated approach.)
- diverse types and methods of training, including termly SENCO Forums, training for new SENCOs, formal training on many areas of SEND and capacity building, virtual sessions
- resource packages available on NELC website
If you are a teacher and think a child in your class would benefit from the support of a specialist advisory teacher, you can discuss the matter with your SENCO. The SENCO will bring the concern to the termly planning meeting and may make a referral, for support from the Specialist Advisory Service, if appropriate.
Specialist Advisory Service, Civic Offices, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LN
Telephone: 01472 323172 and 01472 323314
Contact: Lead Specialist Advisory Teacher – Sharon Gest